Saturday, December 26, 2009

SISTERS AGAIN




SISTERS AGAIN is a 20x24 alkyd painting on canvas. My previous 5x7 pastel study helped me know whether I should go larger.








I really like this painting. It reminds me of a Jessie Wilcox Smith illustration. Jessie was a children's books illustrator in the late 19th century, who studied under Thomas Eakins and Howard Pyle. She may be best known for her covers on Good Housekeeping magazine. If I could do nothing else the rest of my life but work like this, I'd be a happy person. See her work by clicking the title, "Sisters Again" above.

Speaking of happy, I hope you all had a happy Christmas and Hanukkah. Mine, despite all the stresses, turned out lovely. I'm grateful for my healthy and beautiful extended families.

There was one disaster, however, which I would like to avoid in the future. My mashed potatoes turned into inedible paste. They literally would have choked people to death, had I served them. Was it the cream that I added instead of milk?????

13 comments:

  1. Lovely, yes, it does have a Jessie Wilcox Smith quality to it, in fact I thought maybe an illustration of hers was your model. Very delightful, Jessie Wilcox Smith is one of my favs. I agree I feel the same if I could just paint pictures of children regularly like she did I would be most satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great painting on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice crop! It made me think of Mary Cassatt paintings of children

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved your work and this is my fav. I've always loved jess wilcox work as well. I always enjoy your blogposts. You really are a great artist. Have a wonderful 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! Love your paintings and style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly luscious! And as one of four sisters, I treasure the sentiment.
    Re the mashed potatoes, did you perchance overbeat them, so your cream solidified into butter? (mere milk can't do that)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely wonderful. All your work is, though.

    About the mashed potatoes, I'll offer my unsolicited advice:
    if you use waxy potatoes, barely mash them or they turn to shiny paste (done that) and omit the butter with cream--lots of butter fat already in there.

    We like our potatoes somewhat coarse, not fluffy so my rule is Russets + 1 T butter for each potato then a splash (or two) of milk. If you decide on cream, reduce the butter or omit it.

    I look forward to your work for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret - I'd love to see this painting from a better photo - enjoy seeing your oils - and love your humor (i.e.Bidding begins (and usually ends) at $100.) Jennifer Evenhus

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning painting and I felt the same about the little study. You are an amazing artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If this is what you love, you should keep doing it. It shows in your work that you are committed to it. It is a beautiful piece! But that's just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely, Margaret. Also reminds me of a Mary Cassatt painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful work, just love the atmosphere you have created in this. r.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Margaret: *WOW* This one reminds me of a Mary Cassatt painting. WOOOONDERFUL. You might not make the greatest potatoes, but girl you know how to paint. ...oh, I just realized I said the same thing as Katherine, well, it's true.

    ReplyDelete