Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My friend Daniel Burnley.

I lost my best friend this week. He had been my boss and my mentor a lifetime ago in a corporate advertising department, when we shared 3 hour lunches at Manuel's Tavern. He taught me how to write. He taught me design. He taught me to love a garden. He introduced me to the Arts and Crafts movement and art pottery. We complained about needing more time after spending entire days wondering through the Impressionist rooms of the Chicago Institute of Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where we discovered Thomas Dewing and Cecelia Beaux. We commiserated over our past disastrous relationships, we wore tiaras watching Downton Abbey. He was a small-town boy who made good in the big city. He was a gifted writer, actor and artist. Honest, passionate, intelligent and the funniest person I have had the honor to know. I am heartbroken and feel lost without him. He left us too soon. I will see him again over there.

10 comments:

  1. Margaret, my deepest sympathy. It's an awful feeling, being "left behind". Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also heartbroken and send our love from Erin.
    Jim and John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are heartbroken too and send our love from and condolences... I remember my first trip to Atlanta, Daniel stayed with us all night until we ended up at the Dunk 'N 'Dine at the wee hours... All our love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this, praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your loss. : (
    Love the photo memory you shared. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Grief is so hard. I enjoy very much your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry, Margaret. It's a painful thing, to lose someone so special. My deepest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret, I am so very sorry for this huge loss. Please know my prayers are with you. Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to your amazing and enduring friendship. May you find comfort in the fact that love never dies.

    ReplyDelete