Tuesday, November 29, 2016

2016 was a hell of a year...



...and I am glad to see it go.


My ex husband of 22 years was diagnosed with malignant melanoma on January 29. He was gone 5 weeks later. But those 5 weeks were unspeakable (the reason I have not written in my blog this year), as I watched him die, and watched my daughters nurse their daddy at home and lose him in such a wretched way. There has seemed to be a pointlessness about things ever since; I can only imagine what his family and my daughters are experiencing.

I'm writing now because of a conversation with my oldest daughter this afternoon; she brought up my blog because she wanted to show one of her teachers (Anna's going to nursing school in Savannah) my work, and the possible bargains that can usually be had this time of year as I try to empty my studio to make room for the upcoming year's work, and get through Christmas without using the charge cards. So I figure it's good motivation to write again. I hope there are still people out there who want to read it.

So, if I can actually follow through with this, I intend to start putting up some of the work I was able to do this year and auction it all off at bargain basement prices. The piece above is one I really like and will not be auctioning at a bargain basement price, but I thought maybe if I put a pretty picture up here, you'll be tempted to read the blog.

Anna too, a beautiful, sensitive writer, has been paralyzed by the trauma of this year. Maybe she'll write soon too.

"Private Practice" is a 16x20 oil on board.



19 comments:

  1. This is a lovely piece. My art got me through a difficult time with my husband's health. Starting my blog has given me a new direction. Our art can be powerfully healing. Thoughts are with you as you move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Margaret, Terry and I have a little (very little) experience with this terrible disease as we lost a friend this way and we are so sorry for this experience for you and your daughters. Thank you for writing so we know how we can pray for you. I wonder if you remember many years ago when Terry approached you at the Cherry Creek Arts Festival with his pastels and worked a trade for a piece of your beautiful work for some pastels. We are so honored and grateful to have it in our collection. God bless you in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Marlie. Thank you. Yes, I do remember meeting Terry for the first time in Denver. What a sweetheart he was. You too. And now I realize I have been calling you Marie for years. Someone should have corrected me!

      Delete
  3. Miss you Margaret...thanks for sharing this blog and your stunning painting, I am thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Margaret...had no idea that your personal journey took such a turn in the road. I just remember our chats, and IAPS and your inspiring workshop in NY. God Bless and I look forward to painting with you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to you resuming your blog. Sending wishes of comfort to you and your family as the holiday season approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you're back. My thoughts are with you as you heal from 2016. Wishing you and your family a healthy and peaceful 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your painting very much. I also want to say how sorry for this tragic life event and all the hurt that must have been the result. Bless your children and your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep on writing. I know there are a lot of people that want to see it. Including me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret, you and your daughters have been on my prayer list since last year when I saw their father was ill. You and them remain on the list and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for what you and your daughters have been through. It will change you and you will see it in your art. Your work is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss! Hope your writing is helping. This was not a great year for me either. I lost a dear cousin to cancer in a short and shocking 4 months! Then my husband had a heart attack and has been slowly recuperating. My painting is my therapy, though I have a Weebly blog, I mostly limit that to my artwork. I am not naturally one who shares so writing on my blog is secondary to other things. Though I enjoy floollowing other artists blogs. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're back! Sorry for the sad reason for your absence. I love the composition of the painting. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always wonder and worry when folks I follow through their writings seem to disappear. I go to the website and usually there is a lapse in action there too. One person had been devestated mentally by the destruction of hurricane Irene. Another politely announced she was done trying to keep up. I am amazed and honored to be graced with the honesty found in your blog and these others. Such a crazy venue for the heart.
    I wish you healing, for your daughters and family too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love you Margaret. I was fortunate to be able to talk to Walter at your house for a bit about having cancer and how it feels. It's a terrible, special club to belong to. He was so fortunate to have you, Meg & Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Margaret we will all pray for you. I love my Dyer paintings they are all beautiful and I think of you every time I look at them! God bless 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Sorry for your troubles, but if there's any truth to what they say about suffering, you'll be even more beautifully singing the blues (and oranges and pinks).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss. I too, lost a brother to melanoma at the age of 56...too young and yes, difficult to witness. Time does help. It sounds like you're ready to carry on, which is what we all must do. Honor him by living your best life each day. After all, we'll all be joining them sooner or later. Love your work. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Margaret, I am so sorry for your family's loss. I can't even imagine how awful you have all felt. I hope that the new year will be beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete