Monday, November 30, 2009

In them ol' cotton fields back home...



This was a demo I painted during a workshop this summer.












Recently, I took a 4 and a half hour drive to Savannah to my friend Diane's home; from there we drove to Jacksonville, Florida, to watch CW Mundy do a painting demonstration (you must see his work: www.cwmundy.com/collections). We were totally inspired by Mundy. And she and I have committed to paint something, using his technique, before December 6, and send each other a jpeg of our paintings. If it's successful, I'll post it here too.

But back to the trip. On my way to Savannah, always on the alert for a picture, I carried my camera. The cotton fields in south Georgia are ready to harvest. I did not grow up around cotton fields, so I always find them startling...cotton, growing on a plant. It just seems strange to me. I figured there are probably many people who have never seen a cotton field or cotton plant close up either. So I put on my emergency flashers, and pulled over to the side of the road on I-16, in the middle of nowhere, with semi's rushing by, and waded through knee-high weeds to get close to a field.

5 comments:

  1. Cool. I've never seen cotton fields!
    Your demo painting is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the demo painting- "stunning" is the right word. Maybe you should more often focus on the face, as in this one. But, then again, if it ain't broke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just translated the chinese comment above (on Google):

    So excellent blog, do not tread look unhappy

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for translating this... i like this great posting very much. thanks for this.


    Cotton Yarn Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete